Sunday, August 1, 2010

Handlebar water bottle holder so two bottles can be carried onboard

Since holstering the seat post water bottle proved dangerous, I needed my water bottle to be more available.  Also, since some rest stops were 25 miles apart, I needed two water bottles to make it between stops.  I found bits to mount this holder on the handlebar.  At first, the bottle hit my chest when climbing while out of the saddle.  When I rotated the cage away from me far enough for the bottle nipple to not poke me in the chest, the cage pressed on the shifter cables.  This necessitated rotating both the shifter and right brake lever farther forward than was optimal.

I still don't have an optimal solution, but at least this kept the bottle top far enough away for this ride. It also let me carry two full bottles from each rest stop.  After draining the one on the bars, I was able to swap for the spare easily and keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment